First, a disclaimer: some of the things I describe in this post involve directly changing data in TFS’s databases. This isn’t usually recommended. Also, I was using TFS 2005. I’m not sure how much of this works on other versions.
A couple of weeks ago, while a coworker and I were deploying some new work item types, we created a field as an Integer that we realized needed to be a String. Changing the field’s type in the work item type definition results in the error “TF26038: Field type for My.Custom.Field does not match the existing type. It was Integer, but now is String.”
A quick look on google made it look like there wasn’t a good way to change the field type. I tried updating the Fields table in the database. This looked like it worked, but the actual fields on the work item type didn’t get updated, so we couldn’t only insert integer data. Non-integers failed with a strange error; for me, it said that the TFS server was offline. So the quick-fix in the database was obviously a bad fix.
So now the question was, how do we preserve the existing data in a new field?
Step 1 was to create a new field. The first attempt used the same friendly name, but a different RefName. Team Foundation objected: “Error: Field name ‘Custom Field’ is used by the field ‘My.Custom.Field’, so it cannot be used by the field ‘My.Custom.Field2’. So now, I’m thinking about trying to change the type of the column in the database. Theoretically, SQL Server can do this. If I’d had some planned downtime, I would probably have gone this route. I wasn’t sure that changing the database column type would be the last time I had a problem, so I wanted to use TF’s tools to do most of the work.
Also, around this time, I (re)discovered the witfields tool.
Here’s what I did.
- Created a new field, My.Custom.Field.Temp, as a String, and added it to the work item type with witimport.
- Looked in the Fields database table for the FldId of the old and new fields. For example, the old field had FldId 10138 and the new one was 10146.
- In each of WorkItemsAre, WorkItemsWere, and WorkItemsLatest, I copied everything from Fld10138 to Fld10146.
- I used witimport to remove the old My.Custom.Field field from the work item type.
- I used witfields to delete the old field from the database.
- I updated the work item type with a new field, My.Custom.Field.
- I repeated steps 2 and 3 to get the data from the new field to the fixed old field.
- I used witimport to remove the temp field from the work item.
- I used witfields to remove the temp field from the database.
It looks like this worked, and each step was pretty quick, and I wasn’t too worried about being interrupted between steps. That said, I make no claim that this will work for you. If you decide to try this, definitely read up on the TFS commands you’re using, and quadruple-check the SQL updates you run.